Sunday, August 30, 2020

Post 1: My Top News Sources

Popular Culture influences how we view our news through the lens of media. This ranges from all outlets such as news channels, social media, even from our families’ findings. As someone who is majoring in Popular Culture, I am aware of this fact. In this post, I list my top five frequently used news sources. This does not mean these are the only ones I use, for me, these are the five I find myself using on a daily basis.

1. Family:

My parents and grandma always have an update on what is going on in the world every time we talk. Just the other day, my grandma informed me over the phone there are two hurricanes heading for the United States as she was watching the news update on her television. For my dad, it is a random news article he comes across in his downtime. He will send the link or recite the article to me. Mom either finds out from dad or does the research of her own. No matter what the given topic is I use the resources where they found the information and look further into it if it piques my interest. 




2. Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/home 

It is a good platform to get the highlights and an overview of a news update. It is especially a great resource when the link is listed along with the topic of discussion. I personally use Twitter to get quick overviews of political events from my favorite political figures. I have actually met Ben Shapiro, Michael Knowles, and Andrew Klavan. This was an event called The 40th annual National Conservative Student Conference hosted by the Young Americans Foundation in 2018.




3. GroupMe: https://groupme.com/en-US/

Another political resource for me is my Young Americans for Freedom group chat in GroupMe. At least one article is posted a day about a convention, social issue, or meme about recent events. All of them have links to the respective article discussed.



4. ABC 11- WTVD Raleigh-Durham: https://abc11.com/

Because I am from Raleigh, NC, I use ABC 11’s coverage for my area. This news outlet holds a special place in my heart because I grew up near their downtown headquarters. Also, I was interviewed by one of their main anchors, Ana Laurel, when I was 15. I rely on this news outlet for local updates with general news and weather.


5. YouTube (Clever News): https://m.youtube.com/user/ClevverNews

For all of the celebrity gossip and updates, I typically refer to Clevver News through its YouTube channel. They give highlights ranging from 2 to 10-minute video clips on the lives of today’s popular celebrities. I especially like the highlights of celebrities I feel like I have grown up with. An example is Selena Gomez. I was a Disney channel watching kid growing up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 12: How Modern Media Impacts Us All

Every social media outlet we use from Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, etc. has shaped our society into what it is today. ...